How we assess projects: Our 7-Point Impact Check
We source and support a wide range of exciting projects, from forest renewal to clean energy generation. All of them are able to do their good work thanks to carbon financing.
Every single project in our portfolio is certified by a recognised registry, such as Gold Standard, so you can be sure of its credibility.
On top of that, we evaluate each project against 7 key criteria. This is our 7-Point Impact Check:
- Additionality: We back projects that would not have happened without carbon finance.
- Accuracy (over-crediting): We review that the project’s emission removal or avoidance is accurately measured.
- Permanence: The project must store or remove carbon for a long period of time.
- Perverse incentives: We check that selling the carbon credits issued by the project doesn’t create a perverse incentive to worsen the climate crisis.
- Double counting: All carbon credits from our projects are only issued and counted once.
- Positive community impact: The project must have additional co-benefits to improve social, economic and environmental outcomes in the local area, aligning with at least three of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Monitoring and evaluation: Every project must have robust monitoring and verification policies to ensure it continues to meet our requirements.
We often don’t stop there. There are a number of additional considerations we take into account. If you’re interested to find out more about our full project selection process, request a copy here.